What's New - October 2016 (By topic)
- Give CSTM blogs a look. They offer insights about life as transfusion professionals not seen elsewhere.
- Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Arnold DM, Liu Y, Barty R, Crowther MA, et al. Effect of short-term vs. long-term blood storage on mortality after transfusion. N Engl J Med (Epub 24 Oct. 2016) | Free full text
- Tobian AAR, Ness PM. Red cells — aging gracefully in the blood bank. (editorial) N Engl J Med (Epub 24 Oct. 2016) | Free full text
- Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- Using activity trackers to monitor transfusion-dependent patients (6 Oct. 2016)
- BC PBCO: Job opportunities: Sr Clinical and Special Projects Coordinator and Data Operations Coordinator
- CBS: 2015-16 Annual Report | See Management Analysis beginning on p.39
- Jehovah's Witness (JW) who died giving birth understood risk of refusing blood, Quebec health minister says (20 Oct. 2016)
- Aunt alleges patient was pressured into refusing consent for transfusion by JW hospital liaison committee and her immediate family prevented anyone who wasn't a JW from contacting her.
- Also see Diseases below (WNV and Zika virus)
- How big pharma spent $650k on nurses in six months (25 Sept. 2016)
- Also see NBA in Resource Library
- Did Mumbai blood banks supply HIV-infected blood – or are people misreporting cause of transmission? (21 Oct. 2016)
- Mother credits pioneering Kiwi doctor for her 'miracle baby' (11 Oct. 2016)
- Wales: Man suffered debilitating stroke in 2011 after botched autologous transfusion due to inadequate staff training (12 Oct. 2016)
- Family receives unspecified compensation 5 years later
- Solicitor: 'The rate of transfusion was also far too high and by allowing air to remain in the bag and the line the risk of a cardiac embolism was heightened, leading to the devastating consequences.'
- Article by family's lawyer
- ‘Medics knew risk of HIV-infected blood’ given to patients at Royal Free Hospital (5 Oct. 2016) | Similar to Canada, documented by Krever Inquiry (1993-97)
- SHOT: Human factors in transfusion (5 Oct. 2016 by Dr. Paula Bolton-Maggs)
- 78% of all incidents error-related. Transfusion errors frequently multiple (median number=3)
- Biotest paid plasma center opens (11 Oct. 2016)
- Psychology majors surprised to use machines and poke people without certificate
- NC EMS (one of only 2 in USA to transfuse in the field) to add charge of $250 for transfusions to its fee schedule (3 Oct. 2016)
- Paramedics now administer transfusions in NC (28 Sept. 2016)
- Question: Do government blood safety regulators conduct audits in all nations where this occurs?
- Paramedics now administer transfusions in NC (28 Sept. 2016)
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) below
- International Plasma Awareness Week (Oct. 9-15, 2016) | PPAW - Get involved includes Write a letter to your local media...
- Novo Nordisk Canada: Ads disguised as news: A drug company's stealth marketing campaign exposed (5 Oct. 2016)
- Theranos shuts blood-test facilities, sheds 40% of workers (6 Oct. 2016)
- USA: FDA's drug reviewers keep leaving to work for big pharma and it's a problem (28 Sept. 2016)
- Also see Australia above
- Canada (CBS, BC & Yukon Region): West Nile Virus Update (12 Aug. 2016, via BC PBCO)
- Zika virus
- Zika virus found in Florida blood bank, mosquitoes (19 Oct. 2016) | Also Public Health England found Asian Tiger mosquito eggs in SE England
- Fatal Zika Virus Infection with secondary nonsexual transmission. New Engl J Med 2016 (E-pub 28 Sept. 2016))
- AABB issues new Association Bulletin on Zika, dengue and Chikungunya viruses following FDA’s August Guidance (Bulletin #16-07, 28 Sept. 2016)
- Also see Resources below (BC Contingency Plan for Arboviruses & the Blood Supply)
- Australia (NBA): Guidelines and Governance released in 2016 (TraQ missed them earlier. Thanks, MW.)
- Guidelines for the management of haemophilia (20 July 2016)
- Patient Blood Management Guidelines: Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics (29 April 2016)
- National Immunoglobulin Governance Program (2nd. edition)
BC Ministry of Health/PBCO: BC Contingency Plan for Arboviruses & the Blood Supply (posted 2 June 2016)
NEW TM blog: The Boxer (Musings on lies & jests in the blood industry)
Sept. blog: The Sound of silence (Musings on transfusion professionals use of Twitter)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)
- Abstracts of the Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Blood Transfusion Society (21-23 Sept. 2016) [Transfus Med 2016;26]
- Speaker abstracts | Poster abstracts
- (Example) PO 48: Qureshi R,White J,Bruce M,Cook E, Cheetham M, Noble D. Innovations in programme delivery of the British Blood Transfusion Society (BBTS) Specialist Certificate in Transfusion Science Practice (SCTSP) improve the learning outcomes for students. (Drag & drop pics to desktop & enlarge)
- * Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- * Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Arnold DM, Liu Y, Barty R, Crowther MA, et al. Effect of short-term vs. long-term blood storage on mortality after transfusion. N Engl J Med (Epub 24 Oct. 2016)
- * Corral M, Ferko N, Hogan A, Hollmann SS, Gangoli G, Jamous N, et al. A hospital cost analysis of a fibrin sealant patch in soft tissue and hepatic surgical bleeding. Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2016 Sep 21;8:507-19.
- * Morris S, Yudin MH, Callum J, Alam A,Herold J, Lin Y. Obstetrical transfusion medicine knowledge among faculty and trainee obstetricians: a prospective knowledge assessment study. Transfus Med. (E-pub 26 Sept. 2016)
- Murphy MF, Dumont LJ, Greinacher A; BEST Collaborative. Interference of new drugs with compatibility testing for blood transfusion. N Engl J Med 2016 Jul; 375:295-6.
- Background: Chapuy CI, Nicholson RT, Aguad MD, Chapuy B, Laubach JP, Richardson PG, et al. Resolving the daratumumab interference with blood compatibility testing. Transfusion. 2015 Jun;55(6 Pt 2):1545-54.
- Hannon JL, Clarke G. Transfusion management of patients receiving daratumumab therapy for advanced plasma cell myeloma.Transfusion. 2015 Nov;55(11):2770. | Authors conclude that DTT-treating panel cells may be effective but does not lend itself to a routine transfusion laboratory, whereas antigen typing is a simple procedure that allows for selection of antigen-matched units in patients with a panreactive antibody, including those caused by DARA.
- Poole D, Cortegiani A, Chieregato A, Russo E, Pellegrini C, De Blasio E, et al. Blood component therapy and coagulopathy in trauma: a systematic review of the literature from the Trauma Update Group. PLoS One. 2016 Oct 3;11(10):e0164090. | Tables and graphics downloadable as PPT slide or images (PNG or high quality TIFF)
- Ryu W-H, Gittleson FS, Thomsen JM, Li J, Schwab MJ, Brudvig GW, Taylor AD. Heme biomolecule as redox mediator and oxygen shuttle for efficient charging of lithium-oxygen batteries. Nat Comm 7, 2016 Oct 19;7:12925. | Yale University press release)
- Smith SM, Yearsley M. Constructing comments in a pathology report: advice for the pathology resident. (Editorial) Arch Path Lab Med 2016 Oct; 140(10): 1023-24.
- Trentino K, Farmer S, Gross I, Shander A, Isbister J. Observational studies - should we simply ignore them in assessing transfusion outcomes? BMC Anesthesiology 2016 (Epub Oct. 14, 2016)
- Wallace AH, Dalziel SR, Cowan BR, Young AA, Thornburg KL, Harding JE. Long-term cardiovascular outcome following fetal anaemia and intrauterine transfusion: a cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2016 Sep 23. pii: archdischild-2016-310984.