What's New - August 2016 (By topic)
- CSTM blog: 'I will remember you' series: Lucie Sabourin
- Farrugia A, Del Bò C. Some reflections on the Code of Ethics of the International Society of Blood Transfusion. (review) Blood Transfus. 2015 Oct;13(4):551-8. Epub 2015 Mar 30. (Free full text)
- Paypal co-founder Thiel believes transfusions from the young may hold key to his dream of living forever (1 Aug, 2016)
- Ambrosia LLC: Young donor plasma transfusion and age-related biomarkers (at ClinicalTrials.Gov)
- Also see Lindeboom GA. The story of a blood transfusion to a Pope. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 1954 Oct;9(4):455-9.
- BC PBCO: Job opportunities: Sr Clinical and Special Projects Coordinator and Data Operations Coordinator
- Victims of tainted blood scandal to share $207M HCV compensation fund surplus (18 Aug. 2016)
- Government reply to e-126 (16 June 2016) Bottom line:
- Provinces control paying for plasma.
- Health Canada responsible solely for ensuring safety.
- e-126 petition
- CSTM has revamped its website. Check new functionality such as search function on all pages and
- Blog side menu for easy access to all entries
- Meetings, etc.
- 2016 Canadian Blood Services’ Annual International Symposium - Exploring the intersecting worlds of transfusion and transplantation medicine (17 Sept. 2016, Toronto, ON)
- BC PBCO & CBS: Annual education session on transfusion medicine issues (29 Sept. 2016, Harrison Hot Springs, BC and via webinar)
- Cost is free | Register here
- CSTM Education Day (30 Sept. 2016, Regina, SK and via webinar) | Free registration.
- Also see Diseases below (WNV and Zika virus)
- 501st Legion, Rebel Legion & other Star Wars clubs donating blood in fun costumes worldwide (30 Aug. 2016)
- Sydney's Three Blue Ducks teamed with ARC's official cookie maker to create pudding to encourage patrons to give blood and support ARC (12 Aug. 2016) | Will set up blood donor station Aug 16-21.
- Gay man passed on HIV to wife but she doesn't know
- Chinese CDC: HIV among gay men ~8 % in 2015
- Physician explains need for replacement donors and why people are charged fees for blood. (24 Aug. 2016)
- Probe begins into transfusion of HIV-infected blood to 4-year-old thalassemia patient (30 Aug. 2016)
- Why blood banks will continue overcharging patients despite government capping the price (30 Aug. 2016) | Some charged for NAT testing that wasn't done
- Six years on, doctors acquitted of transfusing group A woman with group B blood, whose full-term fetus subsequently died (19 Aug. 2016)
- Two patients with same last name
- Should hospitals give patients unbanked blood to save their lives? (5 Aug. 2016)
- Unbanked transfusion is illegal but is it ethical in rural hospitals short of blood?
- Megakaryon hopes to mass produce platelet concentrates from iPS cells and preserve them by freezing (14 Aug. 2016)
- Background: Japanese firm works on creating platelets in vitro (19 June 2016) | Megakaryon Corp
- Northern Ireland: NIBTS joins global Missing Type campaign (16 Aug. 2016) | Fascinating statistics
- Also see Resources below
- A surprise shill for Big Pharma? (9 Aug. 2016)
- Patients groups are focus of a new report that questions their willingness to lobby government for policies favorable to pharmaceutical companies that support them.
- Report: Patients' groups and Big Pharma (4 Aug. 2016) | See 'The Medicare Part B Demonstration Project'
- Paid plasma & Iowa politics (4 Aug. 2016)
- Got a toothache? Better schedule some sessions at the plasma center to get cash to pay the dentist.
- Also see Diseases (Zika virus) below
- GSK and Google's parent company create $715m Galvani Bioelectronics (1 Aug. 2016) | More convergence of healthcare and technology
- Theranos: What will the future hold? (25 July 2016)
- Also see General above (Ambrosia LLC) and USA
- Canada (CBS, BC & Yukon Region): West Nile Virus Update (12 Aug. 2016, via BC PBCO)
- Zika virus
- Canada: In light of FDA decision, CBS and Héma-Québec monitoring Zika situation (26 Aug. 2016)
- AABB launches Zika Virus Biovigilance Network
- USA: FDA advises testing for Zika virus in all donated blood and blood components in the US (26 Aug. 2016)
- USA- FDA: Revised Recommendations for Reducing the Risk of Zika Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Components (For immediate implementation, 26 Aug. 2016)
- Expanded Zika blood screening ‘misguided,’ says ex-AABB President, Dr. James AuBuchon, CEO Bloodworks Northwest (26 Aug. 2016)
- AuBuchon says FDA decision a costly move aimed more at public relations than real protection from the mosquito-borne disease.
- New report suggests Zika virus transmitted through blood transfusion (18 Aug. 2016)
- Motta IJF, et al. Evidence for transmission of Zika virus by platelet transfusion (letter). N Engl J Med. 2016 Aug 17. [Epub ahead of print] | Abstract
- USA (FDA): Advice to blood collection establishments on non-travel related cases of Zika Virus in Florida (27 July 2016)
- Also see Resources below (BC Contingency Plan for Arboviruses & the Blood Supply)
- More Zika Virus news
Haemovigilance and the UK schemes explained (Teaching slide set by Paula Bolton-Maggs, SHOT Medical Director, 107 pp.)
Educational materials from SHOT 2015 Report: Free to use in teaching and other presentations but do not alter as copyright belongs to SHOT.
BC Ministry of Health/PBCO: BC Contingency Plan for Arboviruses & the Blood Supply (posted 2 June 2016)
NEW TM blog: Who'll stop the rain (Musings on SHOT 2015's use of narrative fallacy)
July blog: Don't worry, be happy (Musings on how TM leaders mimic politicians)
@transfusionnews (TraQ webmaster's personal Twitter account)
Free full text papers | * 1 or more Canadian authors
Free sample issues (Jan. 2016 unless indicated otherwise)
- Allain J-P, Smit Sibinga CT. Family donors are critical and legitimate in developing countries. (review) Asian J Transfus med 2016:10(1):5-11.
- Asnawi AW, Sathar J, Mohamed R, Deraman R, Kumaran S, Hamid SS, Zakaria MZ. Fatal delayed haemolytic transfusion reaction and hyperhaemolysis syndrome in a pregnant woman with sickle cell anaemia.Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2016 Jun;32(Suppl 1):251-3. Epub 2015 Jan 1. [Occurred in Malaysia]
- Farrugia A, Del Bò C. Some reflections on the Code of Ethics of the International Society of Blood Transfusion. (review) Blood Transfus. 2015 Oct;13(4):551-8. Epub 2015 Mar 30.
- Garraud O, Filho LA, Laperche S, Tayou-Tagny C, Pozzetto B. The infectious risks in blood transfusion as of today - A no black and white situation. Presse Med. 2016 Jul 27. pii: S0755-4982(16)30171-3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Habibi A, Mekontso-Dessap A, Guillaud C, Michel M, Razazi K, Khellaf M, et al. Delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction in adult sickle-cell disease: presentations, outcomes, and treatments of 99 referral center episodes. Am J Hematol. 2016 Jun 27. Epub ahead of print]
- Jackups R Jr, Savage W. Gaps in research on adverse events to transfusion in pediatrics. Transfus Med Rev. 2016 Jun 18. pii: S0887-7963(16)30022-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Levin AE, Krause PJ. Transfusion-transmitted babesiosis: is it time to screen the blood supply? Curr Opin Hematol. 2016 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mekontso Dessap A, Pirenne F, Razazi K, Moutereau S, Abid S, Brun-Buisson C, et al. A diagnostic nomogram for delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2016 Aug 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- van Hoeven LR, Berkowska MA3, Verhagen OJ, Koffijberg H, van der Schoot CE, Janssen MP. Prediction of the anti-RhD donor population size for managerial decision-making. Vox Sang. 2016 Aug;111(2):171-7. Epub 2016 Apr 14.
- Sachan D, Kumar A, Jothimani D, Rela M. Delayed serological transfusion reaction after platelet transfusion due to anti-e. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2016 Jun;32(Suppl 1):287-9. Epub 2016 Jan 19.