What's New - Chronological (May 2016)
- BC PBCO
- Transfusion Medicine for Physicians (Free one hr. online course with six 10-min. modules)
- TraQ's May newsletter
- USA: FDA recognizes v 2.0 Donor History Questionnaires (full and abbreviated) in May 27 2016 Guidance (27 May 2016)
- FDA Guidance for Industry: Implementation of Acceptable Full Length and Abbreviated Donor History Questionnaires and Accompanying Materials for Use in Screening Donors of Blood and Blood Components (May 2016)
- DHQ, v 2.0 (43 questions)
- aDHQ, v. 2.0 (27 questions)
- USA: Baby has 12 intrauterine transfusions (27 May 2016)
- Rh immune globulin not given in first pregnancy
- Zheng Y, Maitta RW. Alloimmunisation rates of SCD patients in U.S. differ from those in other geographical regions. Transfus Med. 2016 May 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- TraQ's May newsletter
- Blog: The In Crowd (Musings on the relevance of transfusion journals)
- Ethics case involving Jehovah's Witness patient (2 May 2016) | Fascinating - take a peek
- Too many drug clinical trials switch outcomes midway through (26 Mar. 2016)
- National Immunohaematology Continuing Education (NICE) Proceedings 2015 (Presentations)
- NBA blood product with list prices (1 July 2015)
- Why an A Rh negative Canadian run over by a truck in Thailand is struggling to get treatment (16 May 2016)
- CBS 2015 Infectious Disease Surveillance Report
- Transfusion Science Education Course (15-16 June 2016, Winnipeg, MB)
- 14th Annual Canadian Blood Services International Symposium: Intersecting Worlds of Transfusion and Transplantation Medicine (17 Sept. 2016, Toronto, ON)
- India: Regular blood transfusions passé as city scientists offer one-time match for thalassemia patients (25 May 2016)
- Blood transfusions in high risk malaria zones could be made safer with new blood treatment technology (The Lancet press release)
- Australia: Perth nurse awarded nation's highest nursing honour for developing a blood management program (14 May 2016)
- China: Chronic seasonal blood shortages create huge black market for blood (June 2016)
- Only 0.95% of China's citizens donate blood
- Over 2 months father paid 300,000 yuan (US$46,400) on platelets and RBC for 5 yr old son, most directly to scalpers.
- China: Blood shortages pump life into $16 billion Shanghai RAAS Blood Products (3 May 2016)
- Because of supply and demand, plasma-derived products industry has gross profit margins of ~70%
- Pakistan: Hepatitis, HIV/AIDS detected in more than 150 children after multiple blood transfusions (14 May 2016)
- Dalton HR, Webb GW, Norton BC, Woolson KL. Hepatitis E virus: time to change the textbooks. Dig Dis. 2016;34(4):308-16. Epub 2016 May 11.
- Flood LS, Higbie J. A comparative assessment of nursing students' cognitive knowledge of blood transfusion using lecture and simulation. Nurse Educ Pract. 2016 Jan;16(1):8-13. Epub 2015 May 27.
- Lee BK, Le Ray I, Sun JY, Wikman A, Reilly M, Johansson S. Haemolytic and non-haemolytic neonatal jaundice have different risk factor profiles. Acta Paediatr. 2016 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu Y, Li C, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Wu B, Ke L, et al. Which is safer source plasma for manufacturing in China: apheresis plasma or recovered plasma? Transfusion. 2016 May;56(5):1153-60.
- Lyall C, King E. Using qualitative research methods in biomedical innovation: the case of cultured red blood cells for transfusion. BMC Res Notes. 2016 May 11;9(1):267.
- Romeijn B, van Dongen A, Kok G. Reasons for noncompliance in donor risk reporting regarding male-to-male sex. Transfusion. 2016 May 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seheult JN, Triulzi DJ, Yazer MH. I am the 9%: Making the case for whole-blood platelets. Transfus Med. 2016 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smith A, Gray A, Atherton I, Pirie E, Jepson R. Does time matter? An investigation of knowledge and attitudes following blood transfusion training. Nurse Educ Pract. 2014 Mar;14(2):176-82.
- Older paper but relevant
- Sultan S, Baig MA, Irfan SM, Ahmed SI, Hasan SF. Adverse reactions in allogeneic blood donors: a tertiary care experience from a developing country. Oman Med J. 2016 Mar;31(2):124-8. (Full free text)
- 41,511 (99.5%) were replacement donors, 248 (0.5%) were voluntary donors. Almost all (41,645; 99.8%) were male; 114 (0.2%) were female.
- PVC suppliers seek to replace DEHP plasticizer in blood transfusion bags without sacrificing performance or safety (10 May 2016)
- Canada (Paid plasma): Protesters rally in Victoria for ban on paid plasma donations (10 May 2016)
- Canada: Therapure Biopharma Inc. welcomes government delegation to its state-of-the-art facility (6 May 2016)
- India: Parents claim three-and-a-half year-old son acquired HIV from blood transfusion (11 May 2016)
- Scotland: Transfusion-associated hepatitis C victim caught between NHS-England and NHS-Scotland over compensation (7 May 2016)
- Vietnam: Briton donates 'rare' A Rh-negative blood to save Vietnamese man (7 May 2016)
- Freixo A, et al. Nurses knowledge in Transfusion Medicine in a Portuguese university hospital: the impact of an education. Blood Transfus 2016 (E-pub. 19 Feb, 2016) Full free text
- Economics behind paid and unpaid plasma systems (1 May 2016)
- Discusses international studies on effect paying money has on donor behaviour
- Theranos being investigated for fraud, unusual for a private company (19 Apr. 2016)
- Horst J, Leonard JC, Vogel A, Jacobs R, Spinella PC. A survey of US and Canadian hospitals' paediatric massive transfusion protocol policies. Transfus Med. 2016 Feb;26(1):49-56. Epub 2016 Feb 2.
- Canada: Seeds of another bloody scandal (1 May 1 2016)
- Author HCV-infected in 1984 by product derived from plasma sourced at Arkansas prison