News items constitute an arbitrary selection of events. Links to some news items may no longer be active. News items are for the current year only. Canadian news is covered in What's New and Monthly newsletters.
Index: General | Other countries (change over time)
- Give CSTM blogs a look. They offer insights about life as transfusion professionals not seen elsewhere.
- Blunt truth about hype around stem cells and 'cutting edge' medical research (27 Mar. 2017) Meanwhile...
- Study finds transfusing incompatible type A plasma is safe in patients requiring massive transfusion protocol (26 Mar. 2017)
- O my! Paper strip test determines blood type in just 30 seconds (15 Mar. 2017)
- O'Sullivan E, et al. Social media in health science education: an international survey. JMIR Med Educ. 2017 Jan 4;3(1):e1. (Free full text)
- One fifth of students using social media reported they “almost always” shared clinical images without explicit permission.
- Old blood can be made young again and it might fight ageing (22 Mar. 2017)
- UK: Red blood cell manufacture breakthrough (24 Mar.2017)
- Widely adopted blood transfusion practice in trauma may not benefit non-trauma patients (8 Mar. 2017)
- For fun: What are blood group and why do they matter? (6 Mar. 2017)
- Deep ties with industry may compromise the ability of advocacy groups to serve patients they represent (2 Mar. 2017)
- Harm and medical ethics (3 Mar. 2017)
- Thought experiment: Imagine spouse cheats on you but you don't know it. Have you been HARMED?
- USA: The blood substitute Ohio State researchers hope will save lives (28 Feb. 2017)
- Book review of 'Field Guide to Lies & Statistics' (The Economist, 4 Feb. 2017)
- USA: Five hyped health scams, including 'young blood' transfusions and genome sequencing (16 Feb. 2017)
- Munafò MR, et al. A manifesto for reproducible science. Nature Human Behaviour 1. (EPub 10 Jan. 2017) | Free full text
- How physicians can keep up with the knowledge explosion in medicine (19 Dec. 2016)
- TEDx talk (~17 mins): Saving lives in the shadows (22 Dec. 2016)
- How medical laboratory professionals work tirelessly to provide information for informed diagnoses
- Big Pharma is coming for your Facebook and Twitter feeds (21 Dec. 2016)
- Blood & quips (9 Dec. 2016) | Article skewers naturopathic quackery in 'Eat Right For Your Type' and notes evidence-based associations between ABO and disease
- Key barriers to developing artificial RBCs overcome with nanotechnology-based ‘ErythroMer’ (5 Dec. 2016)
- When U.S. was warned that AIDS was killing kids (27 Nov. 2016)
- In advance of World AIDS Day (Dec. 1) Toronto star excerpts 2 books beginning with David France's 'How to Survive a Plague'
- Dubai, UAE: Harvey J. Alter wins Grand Hamdan International Award for studies that identified non-A, non-B hepatitis, now hepatitis C in 1989. (Press release, 21 Nov. 2016)
- Blood from old mice makes young mice decrepit (22 Nov. 2016) | Study raises caution about anti-aging benefits of transfusion from the young
- For fun: Not even scientists can easily explain p-values (24 Nov. 2015)
- Canada: Worobey M, Watts TD, McKay RA, Suchard MA, Granade T, Teuwen DE,et al. 1970s and ‘Patient 0’ HIV-1 genomes illuminate early HIV/AIDS history in North America. Nature 2016 26 Oct.
- Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Arnold DM, Liu Y, Barty R, Crowther MA, et al. Effect of short-term vs. long-term blood storage on mortality after transfusion. N Engl J Med (Epub 24 Oct. 2016) | Free full text
- Carson JL, Guyatt G, Heddle NM, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines from the AABB. Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds and Storage. JAMA 2016 (EPub 12 Oct. 2016) | Full text article
- Murphy MF, Dumont LJ, Greinacher A; BEST Collaborative. Interference of new drugs with compatibility testing for blood transfusion. N Engl J Med 2016 Jul; 375:295-6. (Free full text)
- Using activity trackers to monitor transfusion-dependent patients (6 Oct. 2016)
- AABB issues new Association Bulletin on Zika, dengue and Chikungunya viruses following FDA’s August Guidance (Bulletin #16-07, 28 Sept. 2016)
- USA: FDA's drug reviewers keep leaving to work for big pharma and it's a problem (28 Sept. 2016)
- USA: Drs test drones to deliver lab specimens, blood products (13 Sept. 2015)
- Kenya: One of the most important yet neglected profession in health centers (13 Sept. 2016) | Great example of citizen journalism
- China and Australia emerge as most lucrative markets for platelet-rich plasma in Asia Pacific (31 Aug. 2016) | PRP used in cosmetic surgeries,orthopedic injuries,etc., with no clear evidence of benefit beyond placebo
- Farrugia A, Del Bò C. Some reflections on the Code of Ethics of the International Society of Blood Transfusion. (review) Blood Transfus. 2015 Oct;13(4):551-8. Epub 2015 Mar 30. (Free full text)
- Paypal co-founder Thiel believes transfusions from the young may hold key to his dream of living forever (1 Aug, 2016)
- USA: Americans more worried than enthusiastic about gene-editing, brain chips, synthetic blood (29 July 2016)
- Now possible to tell age range from crime scene blood (29 June 2016)
- AIDS 2016 reports huge boom in teen HIV cases in sub-Saharan Africa (21 July 2016)
- Novel biomarkers can help detect illegal blood doping in athletes (18 July 2016)
- Social media
- Ioannidis JPA. Why most clinical research is not useful. PLoS Med 2016 Jun 23;13(6): e1002049. (Free full text)
- Israel opens world’s first bird blood bank (11 July 2016)
- Canada: Researchers find association between donor age, female sex and transfusion outcomes (11 July 2016)
- A Canadian kept blood flowing in WWI. An American got credit (9 July 2016)
- Edgren G,et al. Transmission of neurodegenerative disorders through blood transfusion: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2016. E-pub 28 June 2016.
- Cautionary tale of ‘stem cell tourism’ (22 June 2016)
- Unregulated commercial stem-cell industry is not only potentially harmful but also undermines attempts to study stem-cell therapies in clinical trials.
- USA: Clinical labs using social media to recruit and retain top med techs, young pathologists (17 June 2016)
- Wrap-up to Jehovah's Witness ethics case (17 June 2016) (Original case in May's TraQ newsletter)
- WHO: World Blood Donor Day (14 June 2016)
- New finding offer hope to those with severe hemophilia A (25 May 2016)
- USA: FDA recognizes v 2.0 Donor History Questionnaires in May 2016 Guidance (27 May 2016)
- Too many drug clinical trials switch outcomes midway through (26 Mar. 2016)
- Canada (CSTM): New blog series recognizing Canadian transfusion medicine colleagues
- Comments are most welcome regardless of where you work.
- For fun: Why do we have different ABO blood groups?
- Huge leap to mass produced platelets (8 Apr. 2016)
- Blood processing methods affect microparticles and mtDNA linked to transfusion reactions (CBS press release, 11 Apr. 2016) )
- WHO Zika App | Easy-to-use Zika Virus information
- Ortega R, Canelli RJ, Quillen K, Mustafa W, Kotova F. Transfusion of red cells. N Engl J Med 2016;374:e12.
- 10 min. 'how to' video available to subscribers (also pdf of summary points)
- If not a subscriber, ask transfusion service medical director, staff or students of college/university, or hospital librarian (they may subscribe)
- AABB - Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services (BBTS):
- Product age, preparation method may influence mortality risk after blood transfusion (11 Mar. 2016)
- Can we treat Ebola with plasma? The results are in. (8 Jan. 2016)
Australia / New Zealand (Down Under)
China / Hong Kong
- Donating blood or declaring your sex life? (9 Jan. 2017)
- HIV via transfusion is a menance (8 Jan. 2017)
- UK's SHOT vs India's hemovigilance, where reports of transfusion transmission are based on statements when counselling HIV+ people
- Human Rights Commission calls for probe into transfusion resulting in death (16 Dec. 2016) | So far lab technician & nurse fired
- Inside India's black market (5 Dec. 2016)
- ‘Window Period’ main reason for catching HIV/AIDS virus in 10% of patients (4 Dec. 2016)
- Did Mumbai blood banks supply HIV-infected blood – or are people misreporting cause of transmission? (21 Oct. 2016)
- Probe begins into transfusion of HIV-infected blood to 4-year-old thalassemia patient (30 Aug. 2016)
- Why blood banks will continue overcharging patients despite government capping the price (30 Aug. 2016) | Some charged for NAT testing that wasn't done
- Six years on, doctors acquitted of transfusing group A woman with group B blood, whose full-term fetus subsequently died (19 Aug. 2016)
- Two patients with same last name
- Should hospitals give patients unbanked blood to save their lives? (5 Aug. 2016)
- Unbanked transfusion is illegal but is it ethical in rural hospitals short of blood?
- Wide range of issues plague India's blood supply (21 July 2016)
- Doctor suspended, two others sacked for alleged transfusion of HIV+ and HCV+ blood (18 June 2016)
- Lab tech and data entry clerk fired
- Police seize more than 21,000 units of FFP stored in cooling van and arrest 3 including 2 lab technicians. (13 June 2016)
- Mumbai collecting ‘Bombay blood group’ to save Bangladeshi patient (10 June 2016)
- Why is transfusion not yet safe? (3 June 2016)
- Transfusion-associated HIV cases self-reported, not proven cases. TA-HIV more socially acceptable.
- 2,234 infected with HIV via transfusion in past 17 months (31 May 2016)
- Parents claim three-and-a-half year-old son acquired HIV from blood transfusion (11 May 2016)
- Clot factor availability, cost affect haemophilia treatment (18 Apr. 2016)
- State government withdrew Factor 8 from Essential Drugs List
- 20,000 - 30,000 Indian rupees = $385 - $576 CDN
- Two hospitals and a private blood bank investigated after two thalassemic children infected with HIV following transfusion (1 Feb. 2016)
Trinidad & Tobago
- Court orders 2 fired ICU RNs reinstated (23 Mar. 2017)
- Dobby the giraffe receives plasma transfusion at Denver Zoo (3 Feb. 2017)
- Big Pharma quietly enlists leading professors to justify $1,000/day drugs, inc. new hepatitis C drugs (23 Feb. 2017)
- Reasons for botched Zika testing at DC public health lab (25 Feb. 2017)
- ARC seeks volunteer transport drivers and have for a long time
- San Diego Blood Bank pivots to research to diversify revenue stream amid drop in transfusions (13 Feb. 2017)
- For $8,000 startup can pump you full of young blood in hopes of finding a fountain of youth (15 Jan. 17)
- Why thousands of low-income Americans 'donate' their blood plasma to for-profit centers (13 Jan. 2017)
- AABB, ABC, ARC: Joint Statement to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Product Advisory Committee (23 Nov 2016) | Relates to FDA’s request regarding its Blood Donor Deferral Policy for Reducing the Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Products (28 July 2016)
- UCLA Health reduced transfusions by 20% with clinical decision support, all-electronic bar code scanning (11 Jan. 2017)
- Uncertainty in USA blood supply chains challenging (8 Jan. 2017)
- 2008-14 BB industry revenue dropped $3.5b
- Blood industry shrinks as transfusions decline (22 Aug. 2014 - Old but still relevant)
- 21-year-old jaguar doing well following blood transfusion from another jaguar (13 Dec. 2016)
- AABB, ABC, ARC: A Joint Statement to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Product Advisory Committee (18 Nov 2016) | Relates to FDA's “Recommendations for Donor Screening, Deferral, and Product Management to Reduce theRisk of Transfusion-Transmission of Zika Virus”
- Blood Bank of Alaska internal investigation finds no wrongdoing (19 Nov. 2016)
- Alaska Blood Bank denies it put public at risk to boost finances (18 Nov. 2016)
- Ongoing controversy at Blood Bank of Alaska over exporting blood and high cost of its facility (2 Nov. 2016)
- Biotest paid plasma center opens (11 Oct. 2016)
- Psychology majors surprised to use machines and poke people without certificate
- NC EMS (one of only 2 in USA to transfuse in the field) to add charge of $250 for transfusions to its fee schedule (3 Oct. 2016)
- Money for bone-marrow donors? Company says yes; feds say no (16 Sept. 2016)
- Hemeos (Pay for-stem-cells start-up)
- Donating plasma, medical studies possible source of student income (9 Sept. 2016) | Possible earnings: $250/mth and $250/dy
- Michigan Blood prepping to test entire blood supply for Zika virus (2 Sept. 2016) | Case study in adhering to FDA's Guidance
- A surprise shill for Big Pharma? (9 Aug. 2016)
- Patients groups are focus of a new report that questions their willingness to lobby government for policies favorable to pharmaceutical companies that support them.
- Report: Patients' groups and Big Pharma (4 Aug. 2016) | See 'The Medicare Part B Demonstration Project'
- Paid plasma & Iowa politics (4 Aug. 2016)
- Got a toothache? Better schedule some sessions at the plasma center to get cash to pay the dentist.
- FDA opens door to a change in blood donation policy for gay men (26 July 2016)
- Federal fraud case in NJ brings more convictions/indictments of doctors who accepted bribes (22 July 2016)
- Rare case of tough federal enforcement of anti-kickback laws
- CDC: Gay and bisexual teen males no more likely than heterosexual teen males to engage in sexual risk behaviors but at substantially higher risk of HIV infection (Press release, July 20, 2016)
- HIV diagnosis rates are 57 times higher among men who have sex with men (MSM) than among heterosexual men.
- Fetus with hydrops fetalis caused by parvovirus B19 has IUT (17 July 2016)
- Plastic surgeons live-stream surgeries on Facebook and Periscope (14 July 2016)
- To keep blood supply safe, screening blood is more important than banning donors (16 June 2016)
- Circular of Information for the Use of Cellular Therapy Products (June 2016)
- 3 years and many inspections after patient died from wrong transfusion, NY lab still cannot do its own blood typing (5 June 2016)
- Baby has 12 intrauterine transfusions (27 May 2016)
- Rh immune globulin not given in first pregnancy
- HHS ships blood products to Puerto Rico in response to Zika outbreak (7 Mar. 2016)
- Jury awards family of Jehovah's Witness who died from blood loss $100K (19 Feb. 2016)
- Man sues Blood Bank of Hawaii and ARC alleging he became HIV-positive from 2011 blood transfusion (3 Feb. 2016)
- ARC spokesperson says claims against ARC have no merit.
- Hospitals in NY State & throughout U.S. advertising to attract growing number of Canadian medical tourists (27 Jan. 2016) | Right wing Fraser Institute heavily quoted
- Why you get paid to donate plasma, not blood (22 Jan. 2016)
- Background: The twisted business of donating plasma (28 May 2014)
- 5 big players: USA's Baxter and Talecris, Australia's CSL, Spain's Grifols, Switzerland's Octapharma, possibly Biotest AG, an arm of the Dutch nonprofit Sanquin. Since 2008, plasma pharmaceuticals have increased from $4b to more than $11b