Where can patient misidentification occur?
The stages where identification errors may occur include:
- drawing the patient's pretransfusion specimen
- labelling the patient's blood specimen,1which must be done in the patient's presence
- performing pretransfusion testing
- issuing donor blood from the TS
- identifying patient and donor unit immediately prior to transfusion
- Lumadue and coworkers (see Further Reading) report that specimens that failed to meet the criteria for specimen acceptance at their institution were 40 times more likely to have a blood grouping discrepancy when compared with historic or subsequent patient data.